Cannellini Beans with Fennel and Eggs Persian StyleCourse: Side Dish, Main DishCuisine: Persian, Middle EasternDifficulty: Easy
My dad used to prepare this hearty dish whenever he needed to make a nutritious, tasty, and quick meal. It gets the typical Persian note by adding dill and turmeric.
400g Cannellini Beans /White Kidney Beans (jar), washed and drained
1 Fennel bulb, washed and finely chopped
2 Garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1 Tsp ground turmeric
1 Bunch fresh dill, washed and chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
4 Eggs, whisked
½ bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley, washed and finely chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pan. Sauté the chopped garlic, turmeric and dill over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the fennel and sauté for another 10 minutes. Add the beans, mix with the fennel and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the eggs. Remove from the stove and mix well. Add the fresh parsley and a little more olive oil and serve immediately.
- This dish goes well alone, with some Feta cheese, with flatbread, sourdough bread or roasted lamb chops.
- FENNEL has an exceptionally aromatic flavour and is super healthy. The combination of folic acid and iron promotes blood formation, and several essential oils have the famous beneficial effect on the stomach and intestines. Fat-soluble vitamin E protects blood vessels and may reduce the risk of cancer.
- WHITE BEANS are a nutritional powerhouse, as they’re packed with fiber and protein and a good source of numerous micronutrients, including folate, magnesium, and vitamin B6, copper, folate, and iron. They are high in polyphenol antioxidants, which combat oxidative stress in your body. In turn, this may protect you against chronic illnesses, including heart disease and certain cancers.