Chicken FajitasCourse: Main Course, One Pot MealCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Easy
My family loves this dish because it reminds them to our trip to Costa Rica, some years ago. I love it because it is healthy, too. You get your rainbow of veggies AND your protein.
600 g chicken breast (free-range, organic chicken), filleted and cut into slices
1 red bell pepper, cleaned and cut into slices
1 green bell pepper, cleaned and cut into slices
1 yellow bell pepper, cleaned and cut into slices
2 red onions cut into slices
1 bunch fresh cilantro finely chopped – OR fresh parsley, if you don’t like cilantro.
1 tsp. of smoked paprika powder
1 tsp. of salt
Freshly ground pepper
8 Corn tortillas (if possible, wholemeal tortillas)
1 cup of crème fraiche or sour cream
Olive oil for frying
Optionally add 1 can of red kidney beans (rinse well)
A few lettuce leafs, washed and cut into slices
- First, heat the olive oil and fry the onions.t
- Meanwhile, mix the chicken in a bowl with the paprika, salt and pepper, add to the onions and fry until it gets a nice golden color, then add the pepper slices and cook for another 10 minutes with the lid closed at medium heat.
- Meanwhile, heat the tortillas in a non-sticky pan from both sides, one after the other. As soon as they are hot but not dry (!), place them on a plate and cover them with a clean kitchen towel so that the heat does not escape.
- Fill the tortillas with the fajitas and the lettuce leafs, pour some fresh cream and fresh cilantro on top, roll up and ENJOY.
- Low fat and low carbohydrate option: Instead of the corn tortilla, accompany the fajitas with two tablespoons of brown rice or quinoa and instead of fresh cream, use a tablespoon of 0% fat Greek yogurt. If you cook a little more rice or quinoa, you can use it you the next day for a salad.
- Vegan option: Replace the chicken with tofu or seitan stripes or another vegan option.
- RED BELL PEPPERS are very high in vitamin C, with a single one providing up to 169% of the RDI. Other vitamins and minerals in bell peppers include vitamin K1, vitamin E, vitamin A, folate, and potassium. Bell peppers contain many healthy antioxidants, including capsanthin, violaxanthin, lutein, quercetin, and luteolin. These plant compounds are associated with many health benefits.
- CHICKEN BREAST: it provides you with protein. If consuming the chicken breast, minus the skin, it will contain very little saturated fat but will contain a high amount of omega three and six fatty acids. These fats are important for maintaining healthy cholesterol levels and cardiovascular health.