Creamy Pumpkin Potato SoupCourse: Salads and SoupsCuisine: Mediterranean, American, VeganDifficulty: Easy
This soup is one of my favourite dinner options during the colder months. It is warming, healthy and SIMPLY DELICIOUS!
400g pumpkin, peeled and cut in chunks
400 g potatoes, peeled and cut in chunks
200ml coconut milk
100mg chopped leeks
1 tbsp curry powder
1tbsp olive oil
500 ml vegetable broth
100 g pumpkin seeds, toasted
- Prepare a deep saucepan, heat the olive oil, add the curry powder and heat for a few seconds until you smell the fragrance. Add the leeks and sauté for a few minutes. Add the pumpkin, the potatoes, and the vegetable broth, cover with a lid and let simmer for 20 minutes or until the veggies are tender. Blend with a hand blender; add the coconut milk and stir.
- Put the pumpkin seeds into a frying pan, add a bit of salt and toast them until they begin to “crack”. Set them aside in a small bowl, so each person can add them on top of the soup as desired.
- PUMPKIN contains various substances that combats the growth of cells of different cancers: breast, ovarian, prostate, skin, and liver cancer. It helps fight the desire for sweet because the sweetness of pumpkin helps regulate blood sugar. So, it is ideal for people who suffer from hypoglycemia and for those who have diabetes. It also protects our heart, has an anti-inflammatory effect, and helps remove mucus from the lungs, bronchial tubes, and neck.
- PUMPKIN SEEDS are a good source of phytoestrogens. Phytoestrogens are compounds found in plants and are comparable to human estrogen, capable of producing estrogenic effects.
- You can also sprinkle some Za’atar over this soup to enhance an exotic flavor. Za’atar is a Middle Eastern spice mixture. You will find the recipe among my section of Dips, Spreads and Dressings.