Fresh Apple SmoothieCourse: Breakfast and SmoothiesCuisine: VeganDifficulty: Easy
1 cup plant-based milk of your choice
0,5 cup coconut water
1 scoop plant-based protein powder of your choice
1 tbsp seed-mix (flaxseeds, chia seeds, hempseeds)
1 tbsp cashew butter
1 stag celery
1 cup Swiss chard (alternatively spinach or kale)
1 cup frozen broccoli florets
1 small apple, core removed, quartered
A few fresh peppermint leaves
1 tsp chlorella powder
A few ice cubes
- Place ingredients into your blender. Do this in the order they are listed. Blend until smooth (maybe you need to pause halfway and scrape down the sides). If smoothie is too thick to your liking, you may add additional milk by 1/4 cup.
- If you wish for a sweeter taste, you may add a few drops of stevia.
- A combination of vitamin K, calcium, magnesium and vitamin D is important for strong bones and therefore especially for the prevention of osteoporosis in post-menopausal women. And especially the first three – vitamin K, calcium and magnesium are found in dark green and leafy greens. Like Swiss chard, kale, broccoli, spinach, and lettuce.
- APPLES are a rich source of pectin and quercetin. Quercetin is a flavonoid, a type of naturally occurring plant chemical that has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. Pectin is a type of soluble fiber that can help prevent constipation and have a modest effect on lowering LDL, the “bad” cholesterol. Pectin is also fermented by beneficial bacteria in the colon, which produces short chain fatty acids that may play a role in the prevention of chronic diseases, including certain cancers and bowel disorders.
- BROCCOLI is a food from the cruciferous group, which can help prevent cancer and contains phytoestrogens, just like parsley, tomato and onion.
- CELERY has a bit of the umami flavor that hits our brain’s glutamate receptors in a good way. Celery contains a concentrated form of several useful phytochemicals naturally occurring in celery. They are of particular use in helping the liver regulate androgen breakdown during perimenopause. This means that they can reduce hot flashes, hair loss, and facial hair growth.