Persian Celery Lamb Stew (Khoresth Karafs)Course: Main CourseCuisine: Middle Eastern, PersianDifficulty: Easy
Thanks to a huge amount of celery as well as fresh herbs, this stew is very healthy and tasty. Celery root has a bit of the umami flavor that hits our brain’s glutamate receptors in a good way.
Tip: When I prepare this dish, I try to combine it with other tasks, so that it won´t take much of my time. The preptime is short and then I simply leave it simmering, while I do other stuff around the house – for example during the afternoon/evening.
500 g lamb, chopped into 3 cm cubes
8 fresh celery stalks and leaves, stalks chopped in 2 cm pieces, leaves chopped
1 bunch spring onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup fresh peppermint leaves, chopped
2 cups fresh parsley, chopped
3 dry Persian limes (oriental shop or online Iranian shop), alternatively use the juice of one lemon.
3 cups of water
1 tsp turmeric powder
5 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add celery, parsley, mint and saute until herbs start getting dark and release their flavour. Remove.
- In a large pot heat 2 tbsp olive oil, add onion and garlic and saute until it gets golden brown.
- Add the chopped lamb stew pieces together with the turmeric and the black pepper. Sear until the meat has a nice golden colour.
- Now add the sauteed celery and herbs to the lamb and onion mix, sautee together for another minute.
- Pierce the Persian lemons several times with a sharp object and add them.
- Add the 3 cups of water and let cook for another hour.
- Your stew is ready, when the meat is tender and when your kitchen is filled with a wonderful flavor.
- I usually serve it with white or brown basmati rice and some plain yogurt.
- CELERY ROOT, also known as celeriac, contains a concentrated form of several useful phytochemicals naturally occurring in celery. They are of particular use in helping the liver regulate androgen breakdown during perimenopause. This means that they can reduce hot flashes, hair loss, and facial hair growth.