Trinxat de la Cerdanya – Catalan Coleslaw-Potato MashCourse: Side DishCuisine: Mediterranean, VegetarianDifficulty: Easy
Trinxat de la Cerdanya is a Catalan dish made up mainly of kale or white cabbage and potatoes. It is traditionally from La Cerdanya, in the Catalan Pyrenees, where it is typical in the autumn and winter season. It goes very well with all kind of meats or simply with eggs your style.
350 grams of cabbage, thicker stems removed and cut roughly
700 grams of potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 onion, finely cut
2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp caraway seeds
- Put two big pots with water on the fire and when it starts to boil, add some salt. In one pot cook the cabbage for about 15/20 minutes and in the other boil the potatoes for the same time, until they are tender.
- Drain the potatoes and transfer them to a bowl.
- Drain the cabbage and crush it so that it releases all the water since when it is cooked it absorbs a large amount of water and add it to the potatoes.
- With a fork, crush the cabbage and the potatoes.
- Heat a large frying pan with a little olive oil and add the minced garlic and the onion. Sautee until they have a nice, golden color.
- Then add the cabbage-potato mix, black pepper and caraway seeds and mix well. Add a bit more olive oil and keep frying as if it was an omelet. Cook on one side and turn it over.
- CABBAGE is a food rich in vitamin A, C, and antioxidants, as well as being an ingredient with a high level of fiber, just like other similar foods in the same family, such as broccoli or cauliflower.