Zucchini Patties with Tomatoes and Cottage CheeseCourse: Main DishCuisine: Mediterranean, VegetarianDifficulty: Easy
1 medium zucchini
1 medium onion
1 medium potato
1 medium carrot
4.5 tbsp rice flour, alternatively spelt flour
1 tbsp almonds, alternatively pistachios or other nuts
1 tbsp flaxseeds
1 tbsp tender rolled oats
1 large egg
2 tablespoons of water
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt to taste
200 g cherry tomatoes
200 g low fat cottage cheese
Salt to taste
- Clean the zucchini, peel onion, potato and carrot, then cut into big chunks and add to the blender together with flour, seeds, oatmeal, egg and water. Grate and mix until you get a mass similar to pancake batter. If it is too dry, add a bit of water.
- Carefully heat the oil in a pan. Form small patties from the dough and fry. As soon as they brown around the edges, turn them over.
- Meanwhile, wash the tomatoes and cut into bite-sized pieces. Wash the basil, shake dry and pluck off the leaves. Sprinkle with sea salt and olive oil.
- Arrange on a plate together with the cottage cheese and the patties.
- Variation: Instead of cottage cheese, you can use homemade tzatziki (made from Greek yoghurt, a little salt, crushed garlic and freshly grated cucumber).
- ZUCCHINI contains a variety of vitamins, minerals, and beneficial plant compounds. Cooked zucchini is particularly high in vitamin A, though raw zucchini contains slightly less. It is also rich in antioxidants. Its fiber may increase insulin sensitivity and stabilize blood sugar levels, potentially reducing your risk of type 2 diabetes. The fiber, potassium, and carotenoids in Zucchini may lower blood pressure, cholesterol, and other risk factors for heart disease.
- FLAXSEEDS or LINSEEDS are highly beneficial during menopause. They contain Omega 6 AND Omega 3 fats. Omega 6 fats help prevent blood cloths, reduce inflammation and pain in the joints. Omega 3 oils can help to lower our blood pressure, reduce the risk of heart disease, increase immune functions and much more. They are also rich in lignans, a type of phytoestrogens. The regular consumption of lignans has been associated with lower risk of breast cancer, ovaries, uterus, prostate and colon. Linseeds also stimulate our bowel and alleviate constipation. If you want to know more about this superfood, please have a look at my blog section.
- COTTAGE CHEESE is an excellent source of calcium, a mineral that plays a major role in tooth and bone health, and in the prevention of osteoporosis. It also helps you to regulate your blood pressure and might even play a role in preventing certain cancers, such as prostate cancer. One of the biggest benefits of cottage cheese is the possibly high amount of protein found in it. this makes it an ideal protein source for women in perimenopause and vegetarians.